1.28.2009

preserving voices

it makes me sad to think that i don't really remember my grandparents' voices. much of what i remember about them is from stories i've heard or pictures i have ingrained forever in my mind.

i'm currently recording old cassette tapes on the computer so that i can have these after the tapes wear out. much of what i've recorded includes Giants highlights from 1987-1989, and i have many more Giants tapes to go.

but the tape i'm working on now is the most precious to me. it's a tape of my dad reading stories to me and Justin. i must have been no more than 3 years old at the time of the recording. i'm lucky that i'm able to just pick up the phone now and talk to my parents whenever i want to. but i know that one day that won't be possible. of course, i hope it's many many years off, but the thought of not remembering their voices makes me cry. i think it will never happen, but it happened with my grandparents.

so soon, i will burn these files to CDs and DVDs to preserve for me, for my kids. listening to these stories as they record reminds me of how much i loved cuddling on the couch with my dad, as he read to me in his "are you on the radio?" voice. Little Red Riding Hood, Fly High Fly Low, No Roses For Harry, Here Come Raccoons. those were the books i picked for him to read to me, and he did over and over (and over and over). it's amazing how much i remember them now, almost 30 years later.

at the beginning of another tape is a segment i don't remember as well - me and my mom taking turns picking a song, then singing them together. i'm not sure what time of the year it was, but i chose both "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Happy Birthday". it was a great and pleasant surprise to hear my mom's voice on the tape.

i thank computers and "modern" technology for letting me preserve their voices. and i thank my parents for caring so much for me and Justin, both then and now.

Comments:
Yeah, I can totally identify with that; I have some cassettes that I've been meaning to turn into CDs. What technique/technology are you using? I may end up doing something like "find something that plays cassettes, find a computer microphone, and apply mic to the speaker of the something until done" but I don't have high hopes for quality that way. :-/
 
This made me cry just reading it. Apparently I'm a little emotional right now. I wish I had recordings of my parents, but they're not the type to do that. I can't even get photos of them. I keep thinking I need to record Sam and Riley, but the days always seem to get away from me. Good for you for keeping the memories.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?