7.13.2006

not yer average squirrel

the deer are a big highlight for visitors to the ucsc campus. they roam, run in roads, and in the spring time have very cute babies.

i think that the squirrels here are underrated. however, they're definitely not underpopulated. they're all over the place. i've been amused by them year in and year out. over the past year i've come to notice one in particular that hangs out near the building in which i work. he (or she, but i'll go with he) is mostly grey like the other squirrles but also has patches of white. not stripes like a zebra or spots like a dalmation, but patches like a holstein. my labmate thinks he's an ugly mutant, but i find him kind of adorable in his own little weird way.

anyhow, i just poked out of the building for a few minutes to help my labmate carry some things to her car and there he was, mr. holstein squirrel!

sad to say it, but that may have made my day.

Comments:
Not sad at all. I'm glad someone else appreciates the little guys. We use to have a black one here that had a distinctive bare patch of fur (where he must have been attacked I'm sure) that I watched for all the time. He would take a trip around our yard (high on the fence out of reach of the dog) to get nuts and such that I'd leave for him. He was here for 3 years, then sadly disappeared. I'm sure he just found a new family (couldn't possibly be anything sad that might have happened to him.)
 
:-)

forgot to mention that i also saw a baby (probably closer to "teen") squirrel on friday - SO cute! you know, just like a grown up squirrel, but miniaturized! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?